Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ACP office is closed to the public as our staff work remotely. Click here to see how this impacts our programs and operations.

Changes that require ACP notification


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of our programs and operations have changed temporarily.

Hours of operation

You must notify the college via email of any change in pharmacy hours. You must provide notification 14 days or more before the proposed change takes effect.

The pharmacy hours of operation must be posted at all public entrances to the pharmacy. If you modify the hours that your pharmacy is open, remember to change your sign.


The licensee (manager) is responsible for notifying ACP of staff changes via email.

The notice must reach ACP within 14 days of the changes, and must include the

  • registrant's name,
  • registration number,
  • effective date of change of employment, and
  • the name and licence number of the pharmacy where the employment change is occurring (either new employment or departure from a pharmacy).

Operating a pharmacy with no licensee

Section 14 of the Pharmacy and Drug Act (PDA) states that a pharmacy licence terminates

  • if the licensee dies;
  • if the licensee ceases to be responsible for the management, control or supervision of a licensed pharmacy; or
  • if the licensee’s certificate of registration or practice permit issued under the Health Professions Act is suspended or cancelled under that Act.

If a pharmacist ceases to be the licensee of the pharmacy, it is their responsibility, in consultation with the proprietor, to either close the pharmacy in accordance with Section 27 of the Pharmacy and Drug Regulation or ensure that a new licensee or a temporary pharmacist in charge (TPIC) has been approved by the registrar.

A temporary pharmacist in charge is a pharmacist who

  • has been approved to assume the duties of the licensee,
  • has agreed to personally manage the day to day operation of the pharmacy,
  • is registered with the college as employed at that pharmacy, and
  • works at the pharmacy.

Please download, fill out, and submit the temporary pharmacist in charge application.

The continuity of the pharmacy operation when a licensee departs is contingent on the processes outlined in the Pharmacy and Drug Act and the ACP bylaws.

  • The pharmacy may operate for 30 days without a licensee if the college has approved a TPIC.
  • If a new licensee is not found within 30 days, the proprietor may request permission from the college  to operate for another 30 days without a licensee, as long as the approved TPIC has submitted in writing they are willing to assume the duties of the licensee for that time. A new TPIC application is required if the TPIC has changed.
  • The proprietor may request one final extension of 30 days in writing if a new licensee is not found as long as  the approved TPIC has submitted in writing they are willing to assume the duties of the licensee for that time. A new TPIC application is required if the TPIC has changed.
  • The ACP Bylaws allow a pharmacy to operate to a maximum of 90 days without a licensee. If a licensee is not found after 90 days, the pharmacy must close.

If these conditions cannot be met at any time during the 90-day period, the pharmacy must close in accordance with Section 27 of the Pharmacy and Drug Regulation.

If a licensee is found, submit the application for pharmacy licensee change.

Closures (temporary and permanent)

Permanent closure

When a pharmacy closes permanently, the licensee must notify the Alberta College of Pharmacy (ACP) immediately of the exact date of closure. Within five working days of the closure, the licensee must also submit to the college via email or fax

  • A completed pharmacy closure form.
  • A written record of the inventory of all drugs in the pharmacy.
  • A written record of all narcotic and controlled drugs transferred from the pharmacy (if applicable).

Refer to Section 27 of the Pharmacy and Drug Regulation, for more information regarding pharmacy closures.

ACP will update our records and notify Alberta Blue Cross of the pharmacy closure.

Temporary closure

A pharmacy may close for a maximum of 14 consecutive days without surrendering its pharmacy licence. If your pharmacy is contemplating a temporary closure, you must notify the ACP office in writing via email, fax, or regular mail, and you must adhere to the guidelines established by Council.

It is permissible for a licensed pharmacy to be closed without surrendering its operating licence, provided that the following conditions are fulfilled:

  1. The pharmacy closure is for a maximum of 14 consecutive days (or other period approved by the pharmacy regulatory authority) each calendar year.
  2. Except in emergency situations, the pharmacy manager must obtain the approval of the pharmacy regulatory authority for the closure 30 days prior to the temporary closure start date.
  3. All prepared prescription recipients must be contacted to advise of the closure and given the opportunity to obtain their prepared prescriptions prior to the temporary closure start date.
  4. Except in emergency situations, notices to the public (using in-store postings and media announcements) must be made at least 30 days prior to the temporary closure start date.
  5. Signage must be posted at the store entrance and a telephone answering machine message must be provided, advising the public about the closure, its duration, the location of the nearest licensed pharmacy, and other information to assist with obtaining necessary pharmacy services during the closure period.
  6. Arrangements must be made for emergency access to the pharmacy’s patient records in accordance with the respective provincial or territorial privacy legislation.
  7. In single-pharmacy communities, alternate arrangements must be made with local prescribers or pharmacies in nearby communities.

Update pharmacy phone or fax number and website address

You can update your pharmacy's phone number, fax number, or website address by notifying ACP in writing via email. Be sure to include your pharmacy license number, operating name, updated phone or fax number, and the effective date of the change.


780-990-0321 or toll-free at 1-877-227-3838