New guide replaces 2007 Methadone Guidelines
March 5, 2013
ACP is pleased to provide the Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Dependence: Guidelines for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians. This document replaces the 2007 Methadone Treatment in Alberta – Guidelines for Dispensing Pharmacists. If your pharmacy provides methadone or Suboxone, or if you are considering it, you’ll want to become familiar with these guidelines and best practices.
The guidelines now include:
- information on the dispensing of buprenorphine-naloxone,
- sample two-way and three-way agreements,
- sample patient-pharmacy agreement,
- record templates,
- easy to follow summaries of practice standards and responsibilities, and
- a flow chart on methadone dispensing that you can post in your pharmacy.
Check out the guidelines and the new practice tools to enhance your pharmacy practice and ensure patient safety.
Is your pharmacy already providing methadone treatment for opioid dependence?
If so, please let ACP know so that we can keep our listing up to date. The list is never made public; it is only used for physician referrals.