When Alberta and Saskatchewan became provinces in 1905, Alberta pharmacists advocated for their own association. The Alberta Pharmaceutical Association Act came into effect in January 1911, making pharmacy a self-regulated profession. John Higinbotham, who opened Alberta’s first drug store, was one of the driving forces behind the formation of the Alberta Pharmaceutical Association (APhA) and served as the first president.
In 2000, upon passing of the Health Professions Act (HPA), APhA split into the Alberta College of Pharmacists (ACP) and the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association (RxA). ACP was established to regulate pharmacists, the practice of pharmacy, and the operation of licensed pharmacies, while RxA became the advocacy organization for pharmacists.
On April 1, 2007, the Pharmacist Profession Regulation and the Pharmacy and Dug Regulation came into effect, bringing pharmacists under the HPA. This allowed for pharmacist prescribing and administering drugs by injection for the first time in any province in Canada.
Pharmacy technicians, pharmacists, and ACP then began work to develop the framework for regulating pharmacy technicians in Alberta. In 2011, pharmacy technicians were officially declared a regulated health profession and joined ACP as regulated members.
On July 1, 2018, the Alberta College of Pharmacists changed its name to the Alberta College of Pharmacy. The new name is inclusive of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and ACP’s responsibilities to govern licensed pharmacies, describing ACP’s responsibilities at the highest level.