ACP bylaws amended
March 8, 2011
Council met on February 24, 2011, and approved amendments to the ACP bylaws. Amendments that came into effect March 1, 2011:
- redefine the council year as July 1 to June 30, rather than from one annual general meeting to the next.
- redefine the structure of council, eventually to include seven elected pharmacists, two elected pharmacy technicians, and three appointed members of the public. To accommodate this change, the bylaws now:
- redefine the electoral seats for pharmacists, by transitionally rescinding one seat in District 5 (Calgary) in 2011 and one seat in District 3 (Edmonton) in 2014;
- redefine Schedule D, providing a transition schedule for council elections up to 2014; and,
- remove direction for the publication of names in disciplinary decisions from the authority of hearing tribunals, leaving this a responsibility of the registrar.
Additional bylaws consequential to the election of pharmacy technicians to the council were approved, to come into effect at the time that amendments to the Pharmacists Profession Regulation accommodating the regulation of pharmacy technicians come into effect.
Council deferred rescinding the voluntary pharmacy technician register until Jan. 1, 2012. The membership year for the voluntary register expires on Dec. 31, and this will provide a transition period for candidates to register on the new provisional register to be established under the Pharmacists Profession Regulation.
We will post an amended version of the bylaws on the ACP website by March 15, 2011.
Originally published in the March 8, 2011, issue of The Link