Influenza Immunization Program - update from Alberta Health
February 10, 2016
A message from Alberta Health:
Pharmacists immunized just over 465,000 Albertans during the 2015-2016 Influenza Immunization Program. Thank you for your participation!
The 2015-2016 Influenza Immunization Program ends on March 31, 2016.
- All influenza vaccine (FluMist®, Influvac®, Fluad® and Fluviral®) must be removed from cold chain storage for appropriate destruction by your pharmacy’s standard of practice (Standard 5.13 of the Standards for the Operation of Licensed Pharmacies) on April 1, 2016.
- All expired FluMist® must be removed from cold chain storage for appropriate destruction by your pharmacy (some FluMist® expired February 4, 2016)
- Do not return publicly funded influenza vaccine to pharmacy wholesalers as they will not be accepting such returns.
- You are responsible for the proper destruction of unused/expired vaccine. The cost for destruction will not be reimbursed.
- Alberta Health will be reconciling doses distributed and doses billed factoring in vaccine waste. This information will be considered in setting program minimum and maximum ordering thresholds for the 2016-2017 influenza season.
Communications for the 2016/2017 influenza season will occur in summer 2016. We look forward to continuing our partnership in the 2016-2017 influenza season. The goal for 2016-2017 is to immunize 35% of Albertans. Your assistance will help us reach this goal.If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com