New Structured Practical Training Program is well-received
February 15, 2017
On February 1, 2017, we launched our newly transformed Structured Practical Training (SPT) program for provisional pharmacists – moving away from a traditional time-based system of completing a set number of practicum hours, to a structure that focusses on mastering the competencies required at entry to practice.
Feedback from both provisional pharmacists and pharmacists has been very positive and encouraging. One individual stated, “I am about 870 hours into my SPT and I really applaud the new SPT online program. I especially like how there must be a new site for Level III. I found from my personal experience that the SPT can get a bit stale, and although I won’t be going through the new program, I plan on using it to supplement my own internship experience. Well done.”
- The new SPT program is competency-based (demonstrate proficiencies over hours invested);
- All learning activities are guided, have clear objectives and are linked to specific outcomes;
- The SPT program has moved to an online environment and is accessible by both the intern and preceptor;
- Extensive tools and resources are available to support interns’ learning needs and goals;
- New program rules have been put in place and/or modified.
Program note - If you are unable to access to the SPT portal after completing the Jurisprudence Learning Module, here is what you can do:
Log into the Jurisprudence Learning Module and verify that you have completed every section.
- If you have completed the Jurisprudence Learning Module, you should be able to access a ‘Statement of Completion’ by clicking on the “printer” icon (located in the lower right-hand corner of the module). If a Statement of Completion is not available, it means you have yet to complete the Jurisprudence Learning Module.
- To identify which slides have not been completed, click on the “progress” icon (located in the lower right-hand corner of the module). You will need to complete any slides that do not have a green checkmark.
- If you have just completed the Jurisprudence Learning Module and have received the Statement of Completion, you may have to wait up to one hour before you will have access to the SPT portal. Please try logging into the SPT portal at a later time.
Visit ACP’s website to learn more
To learn about the new SPT program visit ACP’s website SPT program, download an information brochure for interns, or for preceptors. Please also visit our frequently asked questions page.
Email the SPT Team:
Visit the SPT online portal