Ethics & Jurisprudence Exam
The Jurisprudence Learning Module (JLM) and the Jurisprudence Exam questions do NOT reflect Health Canada exemptions for prescribing and providing controlled substances under Section 56(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA). Pharmacy teams must still be aware of and follow ACP's Controlled drugs and substances exemption guidelines.
- Exam booking request
- Jurisprudence learning module
- ACP Ethics and Jurisprudence Exam study guide - pharmacists and pharmacy technicians (PDF)
What is the ACP Ethics & Jurisprudence Exam?
The ACP Ethics & Jurisprudence Exam is an entry to practice requirement for registration as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician in Alberta. You must complete the exam no more than two years before submitting the final application for registration as a pharmacist or pharmacy technician in Alberta.
The exam tests your abilities to
- remember foundational aspects of pharmacy legislation in Alberta,
- understand key concepts set out in ACP’s standards of practice and code of ethics, and
- apply procedural knowledge essential to the safe and effective practice of an entry-level pharmacist or pharmacy technician.
Exam quick facts
The exam is
- composed of 100 multiple choice questions,
- in electronic format,
- two hours in length, and
- closed-book (no reference materials allowed).
Exam results are valid two years from the date of completion of the exam.
How to register for the exam
NOTE: ACP is currently conducting the exam ONLINE ONLY, and there is no option to go to a testing centre at this time. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have access to a computer that meets the requirements before booking an exam date.
- Once you have registered as a provisional pharmacist or pharmacy technician, ACP will issue you a user ID and password to enter the exam booking site.
- There are no set exam dates. Using the booking site, choose a time that fits your schedule. The exam is available 24/7, but please note that times are listed by 24 hour clock (i.e., 03:00 is 3:00 a.m., 15:00 is 3:00 p.m.).
- Please allow a minimum of three business days to confirm exam bookings.
- You will receive exam confirmation and exam day instructions by email.
- The cost of your first attempt at the exam is included in the ACP registration fee.
- There is a fee for additional attempts. Contact registration (see bottom of page for contact information) for details.
Exam day requirements
To write the exam, you must have
- at least one piece of government issued photo identification,
- your ACP user ID and password (the same ones used to book the exam), and
- a copy of your exam confirmation email (printed or electronic).
Preparing for the exam
We recommend that you
- review ACP's jurisprudence learning module,
- complete the online testing system tutorial,
- become familiar and comfortable with the testing system before taking the exam, and
- refer to the Ethics and jurisprudence exam study guide - pharmacists & pharmacy technicians (PDF).
What happens next?
Within three hours of completing the exam, you will receive your results via email.
780-990-0321 or toll-free at 1-877-227-3838