ACP's public register is currently offline due to technical difficulties. Please contact us to verify registration or licensure while we work to restore service.


If the prescriber is authorized to write the prescription in their province of employment, then you may fill it. Which medications various health professionals are permitted to prescribe varies by province. To confirm prescription validity, check with the prescriber’s college in their province of employment.

TPP forms should be sent to their provincial TPP, usually at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the province that the prescription originated.

British Columbia no longer requires the return of TPP forms.

Saskatchewan has changed its triplicate program to no longer include specially printed triplicate prescription forms. Send photocopies of TPPs from Saskatchewan physicians to:

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan
500-321A-21st St. East
Saskatoon, SK   S7K 0C1
Yes. You must make a copy for the patient to sign, then the signed copy can be photocopied (on permanent quality paper) and sent to the College of Physicians & Surgeons.
Physicians are required to write TPP prescriptions on personalized TPP pads. If in an emergency situation, a physician writes a TPP prescription on a regular prescription pad, the pharmacist must verify the prescription with the physician and must use their professional judgement to determine whether it would be appropriate to dispense the medication. If the medication is dispensed, the pharmacist will need to obtain an original TPP form from the physician as soon as reasonably possible. 
TPP forms should be sent daily if the volume of TPP prescriptions is high; however, a weekly schedule is acceptable. By regularly submitting copies of the TPP forms, prescribers can get up-to-date information on patients, and the monthly reports can flag potential abusers.
No. However, an order for emergency use, signed by the pharmacist receiving the medication, must be provided to the pharmacy selling the medication (refer to narcotic regulations).
An agent of the patient can sign. If one is not available, the pharmacist can sign with an explanation of the circumstances, e.g., patient incapable of signing.

Enter the date that the TPP form was received at the pharmacy and write "deferred" on the TPP form.

Note: A TPP form must be logged or filled by a pharmacist within 72 hours of being written. Send the TPP form to the College of Physicians & Surgeons after it has been logged.

You can get return envelopes from the Alberta College of Pharmacy office:

Yes.  In addition to the standard list of TPP medications, veterinarians must also provide a TPP form for the following medications:

  • All barbiturate preparations
  • All codeine-containing preparations
  • Benzodiazepines and all other targeted substances listed in Regulation under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
  • Tramadol
  • Anabolic steroids

ABVMA policy requires that there will be no dispensing of the following products from a veterinary clinic, even if prescribed on a TPP form:

  • Ketamine
  • Euthanasia solutions
  • Sodium pentobarbital
  • General anaesthetics (e.g., propofol, halothane, isoflurane)
  • Alpha -2 - agonists

Veterinarians do not require a methadone exemption to prescribe buprenorphine.

Reference: TPP Alberta – Program Guide