Find a registrant or pharmacy

Find a registrant Find a pharmacy

Search the website

Help me with...

ACP Council to include 50 per cent public members by April 2021

July 8, 2020
Amendments to the Health Professions Act have been introduced by Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro has introduced amendments to the Health Professions Act, through the Health Statutes Amendment Act (Bill 30) this week. The amendments require all health regulatory colleges, like the Alberta College of Pharmacy (ACP), to increase the ratio of public members on college councils, hearing tribunals, and complaint review committees from 25 per cent to 50 per cent effective April 1, 2021.

“Skilled, competent public members are needed to complement the knowledgeable professionals who already sit on these councils,” stated Minister Tyler Shandro. “They will build on each other’s strengths and experiences to govern the health system in the public interest.”

“These changes reinforce government expectations that colleges must prioritize the needs of patients, ensuring that professional practices are carried out in a manner that is safe, ethical, and in the public’s interest. It specifically welcomes more direct input from Albertans through those appointed by the Minister,” said registrar Greg Eberhart.

“It is important that our college addresses this change as an opportunity to be better,” said newly installed Council President Dana Lyons. “By doing so, we have potential to have greater impact on the health system, which will mutually benefit patients and our registrants.” ACP’s executive committee will be reviewing the governance of ACP and the related bylaws over the summer. Upon analyzing options for the future, amendments to ACP bylaws will be proposed to council in late September, as a precursor to registrant consultation. Our goal is to approve new bylaws to support the requirements of the amendments no later than January 2021.

Today, the Health Professions Act requires ACP Council, Hearing Tribunals, and complaint review committees to be comprised of 25 per cent public members and the other 75 per cent pharmacy professionals. After April 1, 2021, ACP Council, Hearing Tribunals and complaint review committees will be half pharmacy professionals and half public members. Regardless of their background, they will help to fulfill ACP’s mandate of promoting and protecting the health and well-being of Albertans by governing the professions of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.