Find a registrant or pharmacy

Find a registrant Find a pharmacy

Search the website

Help me with...

Can interns and pharmacy students administer injections?

October 7, 2014

Yes, but only under the following three conditions:

  1. The intern or student must be under the direct supervision of a pharmacist who has authorization to administer drugs by injection.
  2. The intern or student must have completed a recognized training program.
  3. The intern or student must be enrolled in the ACP Structured Practical Training (SPT) program, or be completing a clinical placement as part of their university program, or working within a structured extracurricular student work experience program provided either by the Alberta College of Pharmacists or the U of A Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.

Section 17 and 19 of the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Profession Regulation indicate that provisional pharmacists (interns) and pharmacy students who are under the supervision of a clinical pharmacist or a courtesy pharmacist may perform the same restricted activities as clinical pharmacists.

The rules for supervision outlined in Section 23 of the regulations and Standard 20 of the Standards of Practice for Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians require that:

  • Supervision take place in accordance with the rules of the SPT program;
  • The regulated member supervising remain responsible for all components of restricted activities that require the skills or training of a pharmacist; and
  • The regulated member must not supervise any individual performing a restricted activity unless they are satisfied that the individual will perform the activity safely and effectively.

It is the opinion of the college that, to meet these requirements, the intern or student must have completed a formal training program and that their injections must be administered under direct supervision. 

What is direct supervision?

Direct supervision requires that the supervising pharmacist be present when the restricted activity is being performed and be able to observe and promptly intervene to stop or change the actions of the individual under supervision.

What formal training qualifies?

Interns must complete a CCCEP Stage 2 accredited training program. Pharmacy students may complete training as part of a faculty of pharmacy curriculum.  In both situations, the intern or student should be able to show you a certificate indicating successful completion of the training.   

A note about extracurricular student work experience

Unstructured extracurricular hours spent working in a pharmacy are not eligible as SPT. Students must notify ACP of  any extracurricular activities being undertaken as a student pharmacist by completing and forwarding the Extracurricular Student Work Experience Notification Form. This notification requires identification of a preceptor who will be responsible for supervising the student.

Originally published in the October 7, 2014 issue of The Link