Prevent needle-stick injuries this flu season. Adhere to the standards outlined in Sections 525 to 529 of Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Code – they apply to both pharmacists and their employers.
Pharmacies handling sharps should use only safety-engineered needles and must have procedures that deal with:
- The hazards associated with the use and disposal of medical sharps;
- The proper use and disposal of medical sharps;
- Procedures to eliminate accidental contact with medical sharps; and
- Post-exposure management of workers (OHS Code 530).
Additional information on specific OHS requirements and post-exposure management of injuries is available in the following resources:
- Alberta Guidelines for Non-Occupation, Occupational and Mandatory Testing and Disclosure Act Post-Exposure Management and Prophylaxis (January 2013)
- Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation, and Code
- OHS Code Explanation Guide
- Best Practices for the Assessment and Control of Biological Hazards