Find a registrant or pharmacy

Find a registrant Find a pharmacy

Search the website

Help me with...

TPP information for the prescriber and the dispenser

March 6, 2012

Do you have questions about TPP prescribing practices, or how TPP prescriptions should be properly dispensed in different situations? In partnership with the Alberta College of Pharmacists, the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association and with the approval of the TPP Steering Committee, the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta has released a document of up-to-date information on the Triplicate Prescription Program, outlining both prescribing and dispensing practices.

Review the document to find answers to some of the most common TPP-related questions.

How do I handle TPPs from other provinces?

Pharmacists may fill narcotic or controlled prescriptions from other provinces provided they follow the rules of the respective province. If the province participates in a triplicate prescription (or equivalent) program, the pharmacist must mail the prescription copy (if applicable) to the respective triplicate prescription program:

The following provinces do not have a triplicate prescription program or equivalent:

  • Quebec
  • New Brunswick
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Northwest Territories

What veterinary-specific medications require a TPP?

In addition to those on the CPSA website, ABVMA requires that the following drugs must be written on a TPP form:

  • All barbiturate preparations
  • All codeine-containing preparations
  • Benzodiazepines and all other targeted substances listed in Regulation under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
  • Tramadol
  • Anabolic Steroids