Find a registrant or pharmacy

Find a registrant Find a pharmacy

Search the website

Help me with...

Vets and TPPs – are there different rules?

December 11, 2012

Q. Do veterinarians need to fill out triplicate prescription forms for Phenobarbital?

A. Yes. Refer the pharmacist to the College of Physicians and Surgeons website, TPP program, and read the Information for Prescribers and Dispensers – Appendix 1: Veterinary considerations (page 8 of the document).

Veterinary-specific medications for the TPP

In addition to the medications listed in the TPP section of the CPSA website, ABVMA requires that veterinarians use a TPP form for the following drugs:

  • All barbiturate preparations
  • All codeine-containing preparations
  • Benzodiazepines and all other targeted substances listed in Regulation under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
  • Tramadol
  • Anabolic Steroids

Originally published in the December 11, 2012 issue of The Link