Third-dose eligibility criteria
Effective Monday, December 6, 2021, eligibility criteria for third doses of COVID-19 vaccine expanded to include Albertans age 60 and older whose second dose was administered at least six calendar months ago.
All eligible groups now include
- Albertans age 60 and older;
- First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people age 18 and older living on or off a reserve, or on or off a settlement;
- healthcare workers who have direct in-person contact with patients and received their second dose of vaccine less than eight weeks after their first; and
- those who received a full series of viral vector vaccines (two doses of AstraZeneca or one dose of Janssen vaccine).
Albertans who are immunocompromised or on medications which may compromise the immune system, especially common medications such as Methotrexate, are also eligible for a third dose.
Third doses of Moderna Spikevax COVID-19 vaccine
When administering a dose of Moderna Spikevax COVID-19 vaccine as a third dose to an eligible individual, the following dosage guidance is to be used:
- Over 65 years of age or older or in long-term care setting or another high-risk group
- full dose 0.5mls (100mcg)
- Under 65 years of age and at low risk
- half-dose 0.25mls (50mcg)
For more information, including updates to the biologic pages specific to each COVID-19 vaccine including eligibility, dosage, and clinical updates refer to the Alberta Health COVID-19 Vaccines and Records webpage or the Alberta Blue Cross COVID-19 Information webpage.