Health Canada has published an updated version of its Controlled substances guidance for community pharmacists: security, inventory reconciliation and record-keeping.
Included among the updates are the following:
- Removal of information related to handling post-consumer returns and unserviceable stock and instead referring to the separate guidance documents on those topics.
- The guidance now requires “regular inventory reconciliations.”
- Addition of information related to the section 56 exemption (allowing transfers, renewals, verbal Rx, delivery, etc.).
- Addition of pharmacy closure or transfer of ownership expectations of pharmacy teams.
- Additional section on Notices of Restriction.
- Reorganization of the information in the guidance to enhance readability.
Pharmacy licensees should ensure their pharmacy teams review and discuss these changes. ACP has added a link to the guidance under Pharmacy issues on our Practice materials and tools webpage.